As promised from my recent article, here's my tutorial on how to layout and design an infographic in R. This article will serve as a template for more infographic design that I plan to share on future posts. Hence, we will go through the following sections:
- Layout - mainly handles by grid package.
- Design - style of the elements in the layout.
- Texts - use extrafont package for custom fonts;
- Shapes (lines and point characters) - use grid, although this package has been removed from CRAN (as of February 26, 2015), the compressed file of the source code of the package is still available. But if I am not mistaken, by default this package is included in R. You might check it first before installing.
- Plots - several choices for plotting data in R: base plot, lattice, or ggplot2 package.